17. Nightwatch – city fallen quiet. Exhausted new parents slumber. Just me and the snuffling baby and the quietly ticking clock.
18. A winter walk on Edinburgh‘s streets – raw east wind welcomes me back to childhood haunts. The grand old lady lets her hair down at Christmas – a yuletide market, a big wheel, an ice rink in the Gardens. I sip mulled wine and taste an overwhelming mix of memories.
19. Cosy moments in my daughter’s flat. Soft, tree lights bathe a snoozing cat, sofa-dozing daughter and son-in-law and our tiny grandchild snuggles in her seanair’s* arms. ( *seanair is the Gaelic for grandfather)
20. My father meets his great-granddaughter – four generations pose together for a happy photo. He seems momentarily happy and thoughtful. Minutes later he can’t remember the baby’s name.
21. Hanukkah moments – pancakes, doughnuts, latkes – menorah lit in remembrance – candle flickers mingle with the Christmas lights of joy to come. And tomorrow we mark the solstice. A rich human heritage – an amazing beautiful planet.